Last year we launched Shades Day our national awareness and fundraising day as a result of our 500 for 500 Ambassador’s breakfast brainstorm. On Friday 19th May we celebrated Shades Day’s second year and once again asked everyone to wear a pair of shades come rain or shine.
We really wanted to increase the number of people involved so we created the concept of Shades Day Stars who acted as ambassadors of the day and agreed in advance to get their office involved. We created a fundraising pack which contained a variety of materials such as jumbo shades, posters, baking ideas, a guess the seal game and photo props to help create more of a buzz around Shades Day. We exceeded our target of Shades Day stars with 37 pledging to get involved. We ran a competition with Specsavers to win a pair of designer shades and both Higgidy, the pie company and LOS, a sunglass brand both ran their own competitions for Shades Day.
The day was a huge success and created a real buzz on social media with both companies and individuals taking selfies, holding bake sales and taking part in the seal sweep stake game. The social media and web stats show the huge increase in engagement compared to 2016:
- 149 posts were made on social media on the day itself, an 88% increase from 2016
- A 311% increase in engagement on Facebook, 118% increase in engagement on Twitter, and a 64% increase in engagement on Instagram during the promotion period (1 month prior and Shades Day itself)
- The Shades Day page was the second most viewed on our website receiving 4,242 page views, an 886% increase on 2016 (during the promotional period)
- The Google Display Banner Ads ran and paid for by Holiday Autos (our new corporate partner) received 2,395 clicks through to our Shades Day webpage
- Our first Facebook live ‘Reveal the Seal’ video received over 1,000 views on Facebook
It was brilliant to see so many of you getting involved and supporting the day. Here is a selection of the photos below: